Important Safety Information
- Topicort® Topical Spray is a topical corticosteroid that has been shown to suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis.
- Systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids can produce reversible HPA axis suppression with the potential for glucocorticosteroid insufficiency.
This may occur during treatment or upon withdrawal of the topical corticosteroid.
- Because of the potential for systemic absorption, use of topical corticosteroids may require that patients be periodically
evaluated for HPA axis suppression.
- Local adverse reactions may be more likely to occur with occlusive use, prolonged use or use of higher potency corticosteroids. Reactions may include atrophy, striae, telangiectasias, burning, itching, irritation, dryness, folliculitis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation,
perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, secondary infection, and miliaria. Some local reactions may be irreversible.
- Safety and effectiveness of Topicort® Topical Spray in patients younger than 18 years of age have not been studied;
therefore use in pediatric patients is not recommended.
References: 1. National Psoriasis Foundation. Topical Steroids Potency Chart. https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/topicals/steroids/potency-chart. Accessed on 9/24/15. 2. Topicort(R) Topical Spray Prescribing Information. Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc.